handjobs /

tall it to the mayor
several builds ago

////

Friday, December 25, 2009

A partial transcript from the documentary film "Bathtub Slush: The Gus "Gut-Slusher" Lyman Story," pt. 1

[Scene: day time, late fall, overcast and grey. Gus "Gut-Slusher" Lyman walks along the Fox Street sidewalk heading toward the Franklin Arterial intersection. His dirty band-aided left hand trails along the ruined fence separating the sidewalk from Kennedy Park. When a black youth trots through the park kicking a soccer ball over the patchy dying grass, Gus whistles loudly.]

Gus: Kid! Hey kid!

[Gus whistles again. The kid does not respond and is gone.]

Gus: I used to draw water in this part of town. Now I don't draw shit. Big Time Money likes to say that me selling meth up at Waynefleet is some step up in the world? Upward mobility or some shit? Nah, man. I almost got my ass kicked down here by a flashmob of black youths. With hammers and shit? Fuck, man. That was the day shit got real for the Gut-Slusher.

[At the intersection with the Franklin Arterial, Gus looks both ways, darts into the crosswalk, and gets hit by a Budget van.]

Gus: Oh good!

[Some traffic stops. The driver--a skinny white guy with a scarf and black-rimmed glasses--gets out to help Gus to his feet
.]

Driver: Are you okay?

Gus [weeping]: I just wanted some tabouli!

[Close in on the Whole Foods store looming in the background.]

Gus: Just some fucking tabouli! Look at me! Look at me! I just pissed my fucking self!

[Fade out the sound of traffic and Gus crying. Voice-over of Gus as the scene fades to black: "Big Time Money ruined my life."]

No comments:

Post a Comment